If your ping pong paddle rubber is old and you want to replace it, follow this guideline.
Finding a paddle that fits your hand can be difficult, but once you have found a suitable one, you wouldn't want to replace it. However, if the rubber on your paddle has worn out, replacing it can help you get the most out of it. Good paddles can last for many years, so once a player finds a paddle that suits their playing style, they can easily change its rubber. This way, the damaged rubber will be replaced with a new one.
Keep reading to get information about ping pong paddle rubber replacement.
How to Tell If Your Ping Pong Paddle Rubber Needs to Be Replaced?
If you're a new player, it's important to understand the characteristics of ping pong paddle rubber. A sticky rubber is ideal for playing, but if it doesn't work, you can replace it. The texture of the rubber can also help you determine its type. Over time, the rubber can become soft, so if your rubber feels smooth, it may be time to change it.
A rough rubber texture is preferred as it allows for easy spin and optimal performance with your ping pong paddle. However, if the rubber becomes smooth, it will not allow the ball to spin and aggressive shots will be difficult to play.
What equipment you'll need to change your table tennis rubber?
There are a few items that a player needs to change the rubber on their ping pong paddle. Firstly, a table tennis paddle with replaceable rubber is required. Note that some table tennis paddles have fixed rubber, which cannot be changed. Thus, it is important to check before purchasing the equipment whether the rubber is replaceable or not.
Here are the items you will need to change the rubber:
- To fix the rubber, glue is needed. Buy adhesive that is designed for rubber.
- Knife, craft, or a pair of scissors
- Rolling pin
- Edge tape
- Sometimes the glue comes with a sponge or applicator.
How do you remove old table tennis rubber?
To replace the rubber on your ping pong paddle, you need to start by removing the old rubber. Carefully peel off the rubber and remove it from the surface. When peeling the rubber, apply some pressure, but be patient and perform a peeling motion. Avoid using any ripping motions, as it may damage the old rubber.
After removing the old rubber, inspect the blades to ensure they are smooth and clean. If there is any glue left on the surface, remove it by scrubbing or sanding the area. If the blades are damaged, replace them first before installing the new rubber.
How to apply the new rubber?
Once your paddle is ready to replace the rubber, then follow these for steps ping pong paddle rubber replacement:
Take your new rubber and coat it with a thin layer of glue at the back of the rubber.
- Now use a brush or sponge to apply an even layer of glue. Take your time and gently brush on the bond to each area.
- Set aside the rubber and apply a coat of glue to the blades.
- Use a brush to even out the layer of glue. Take some time to spread the glue on all surfaces of the blades.
- Set the rubber and edges aside for a few minutes to allow the glue to dry and become stickier, but make sure your bond does not get wet. The time taken by the rubber is usually 5-10 minutes, and the blades will take 4-8 minutes. However, some glues require more or less time; checking the glue's instructions and drying times is best.
- Now place the rubber over the blades such that the bottom edges of the rubber and the blades are lined up. Some rubbers have logos, so the logo should come at the center of the blades.
- Now curl the rubber from the top and apply pressure to the end of the rubber so it will settle down.
- Roll the rubber slowly and put it on the surface of the blades. Be sure that there are no bubbles in it.
- To smooth the rubble, apply some pressure to set it down.
- You can also use a rolling pan to smooth and set the rubber over the blades.
- It is time to cut the edges of the rubber. Use scissors or a knife to cut the edges.
- Other sides of the paddle need the same process, so repeat this process on the other side.
- The last step is to apply some edging tape to the table tennis, put the video at the blade edges, and nicely finish it.
These are the steps that will help a player replace the rubber on their ping pong paddle. By doing this, the player can upgrade the table tennis rubber and get the most value from their paddle. They can then continue to play more aggressive and competitive games.
However, it is important to note that not all rubbers need to be replaced. Some are specially designed for new players and do not require replacement. If your rubber is old and you still want to give competitive shots, follow these steps to replace it.